lunes, 2 de mayo de 2011

The mandatory sabbatical

I managed to sort the obstacles of the increasing muscle fatigue by increasing the amount of Mestinon intake until the end of October 2011. That was the last time I danced properly, on my feet because now I attempt it from a sitting position when music is too contagious.  Thank God for chairs!!!
By mid November, 360 mg a day were not enough. With my neurologist's permission, I kept increasing the medicine until I was taking 60 mg every two hours, 24 hours a day. I wasn't getting proper sleep nor results. My physical capacities kept diminishing and the wheel chair had to be brought in. The only things the MG didn't affect terribly was my speech and my swallowing, which only slowed down.
Prednisone was not going to be an option for me. The possible side effects torment me and I strongly believed and believe that there are many options to explore before reaching that solution. I also have the advantage of a great tolerance to high doses of Mestinon, albeit with slower results.
So, with my neurologists permission and my doctor cousin's advice, I set the daily limit to 1500 mg, stayed mostly at 1200 mg popping two pills at a time of both regular and time-span, and was able to hang in there until the "myasthenia downhill" began to slow down and finally revert.

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario